Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/10/2011

The soffit over my back door is rotting. Do I hire a carpenter, a handyman or a roofer to replace this?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers


Most importantly is to find why water has rotted the soffit. It is unlikely that a soffit will just rot if there is no water present. I would shy away from a handyman since they are few and far between in quality.

A good carpenter will be able to disassemble the soffit work and determine from the inside if a roofer is necessary. If you have a 3 tab roof shingle I would strongly suggest replacing the roof if it is 15 years old or older. Proper Installation with Ice and water shield will solve the leak problem if that is the issue. Don't opt for a cheap patch because it will wind up costing you more later on..

good luck

Answered 8 years ago by Onlythebestbuilder


Thank you. That helps a lot. I'll go with a carpenter. The roof is 12 years old. We've always had water issues in this area. Whn the house was built in 1984, they forgot to put flashing where the second story met this roof. Flashing was put in 7 years later. Two years ago the flashing was replaced after rusting out and the area was reshingled by the roofer. We restuccoed the second story wall and painted at that time. I'm hoping the problem is resolved and this is rot which began before that repair. Though I'm not sure because along the same roof line my garden window leaks during strong blowing rain. Water and I have out issues.

Answered 8 years ago by MLW


A carpenter is the one proffesion that should be able to do the entire job. Many contractors are listed under contractors and should be able to do the job. I would recomend asking for references and try to see some of the work that the contractor has done. The replacement of the soffit is all covered under a carpenters job catagory. The problems with doors is leaking and this can have a direct effect on the life span of the door. If done properly there will be no more leaks, and the contractor can assure you what went wrong in the first place. I have heard that french doors are the number one reason being that they leak. Before I had my door repaired I considered replacing the entire sliding glass doors, but after the contractor explained to me that the leaking was caused due to the rain water not draining away from the frame where the door was mounted. He took the siding off and caulked the entire way around the door. This job was done cheap and there are no more leaks. I saved about $400-500 not having to replace the sliding glass doors.

Answered 8 years ago by lfoster3313


The damage is above the doors so it's unlikely the source of the problem. I hope it was the flashing problem, since repaired, and that the rot began before the repair.

Answered 8 years ago by MLW

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy