Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/9/2017

The wind blew off the cedar sake ridge caps. I need to have them replaced as well as check for other damages

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Hello Nannaof11,

Thank you for reaching out. We are happy to help! If you have not done so already, please go to to set up a membership. Once completed you will have access to highly rated service providers in your area. By searching the “Roofing” category, you will find top rated providers that can fit your needs.


Iann M

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Materials cost is roughly $3-5/LF unstained for cedar ridge shakes made from two shakes fastened togethear - more like about $10-20/LF for one-piece sawn ridge cap shakes. Add maybe $100-150 lump sum or so for a normal length ridge to stain them first. (Bad idea to stain-in-place because spillage, kicked over can, etc can ruin much more than just the ridge shakes being stained.)

Minimum charge for a walkover to look for other damage typically $75-150 depending on area, then probably about $6-10/LF installed for the replacement ridge shakes (assuming commonly available design) with a likely $150-200 minimum for the repair. Reason for the highish minimum is because he is almost certainly going to have to come back after the inspection with the right and quantity of ridge shakes (and possibly regular shakes too, if you had any other damaged shakes), which he will not know till he inspects the roof.

If you have high winds, another option is to look into the vinyl (yuck) or ridgid PVC shake look-alike ridge cap material - stays on MUCH better in high winds because it comes in typically 5 lengths so a section is not held down with just a couple of nails, and you do not have the ridge cracking issue which commonly leads to ridge shingle/shake blowoff.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy