Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/22/2017

Underground feed to 200 amp outdoor panel. Disconnecting power feed to small home reroute to new 200amp panel 75f

Current 200 a outdoor panel will have no load. Simply repurposing panel as a pass through panel to route power to new 200 amp panel 75 ft away. Feed supplying outdoor panel underground feed going to new panel overhead what size conductors needed to supply new indoor 200a panel

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Not all panels can legally be used as junction boxes - or you may have to add a new set of bus connections - though you may be able to use it as a master breaker box with 200A 220/240V breaker, which would protect the run to the new panel as well as everything "downstream" of that as a master breaker.

If the feed supplying the old panel is your service entrance cable, then overhead (open air) conductor to new panel would normally be #4/0 (four aught) SEU (service entrance) in aluminum, or #2/0 in copper - assuming all open-air with no conduit or in-wall run portions. With suspension cable, of course.

However, if the line feeding the existing panel is a feed run from the meter/service entrance, then the total line run would have to be figured (meter to panel #1 and panel #1 to panel #2) and the wire sized for that, so larger wire might be needed to avoid excessive voltage drop.

Your electrical contractor should be able to readily tell you what you need - also if code requires a portion of the run to be in conduit - almost certainly, as almost all cable from panel/box to about 10-12 feet above ground (varies by code area) has to be in conduit, so you may well be looking at a larger wire size anyway. (Wire in conduit has to be larger to reduce the heating because it is confined, so normal wire size could overheat).

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy