Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/4/2018

who do I have to call,when you have leak under your bathroom ceiling.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Well - try to figure out if it is from a roof leak (if bathroom is on top floor), condensation / melting frost in or on the outside of the fan duct, or maybe a pipe or tub/shower base leaking on the floor above. Oh - or air conditioner or leaking water heater/boiler water if you have such appliances installed above that ceiling.

Of course, if the leak starts and stops with certain events (changes in temperature, use of certain fixtures, rain/roof snowmelt, etc) can sometimes give a clue to the source - and obviously if it relates (possibly with some time lag) to rainfall or snowmelt on the roof (so roof leak or leaking roof vent or pipe seal) or use of a particular bathroom fixture (which could be leaking valve or shower head pipe, or leaking drain line or drain to fixture connection) that gives you a good indication. A leaking water line almost always leaks continuously unless downflow of the faucet/shower valve, though rarely using water on that line can cause leaks at a joint or surge preventer only when the water is actually used.

If you can't find the source yourself (sometimes takes a fiber optic scope or camera (rentable for $20-40/day at Home Depot or tool rentall place and some auto parts stores), then you have to guess at the source. If top floor bathroom a Heating and A/C contractor or Plumber would be the logical Search the List category if you think it may be coming from overhead appliances, otherwise Roofing if you think from a roof leak (either from rain/melting snow or from ice damming due to cold weather).

One a floor which is not right under the attic, unless dripping from a fan (see first question link below), then a Plumbing contractor would be the normal person to track down the source.

Here are links to a few previous similar questions with answers, FYI:

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy