Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/24/2017

WE bought a new RV that requires 30A on a 110 V line. Our garage has a rather large 50A, but not sure if its 110?

The garage has a large plug-in, but we would take an adapter to use this - and I don't want to cause a fire, using the wrong voltage. How can I know? Would a 50A ever be on a 110 V? As you can tell, I don't know much about all of this. RV dealer told me NOT to plug it into a dryer receiver - as a fire could happen. I have actually plugged my sisters RV into this very outlet with an adapter, but now, with a NEW RV, I'm told it may be the wrong reciever. Can you help?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


HIGHLY unlikely a 110/120V line would have a 50A breaker on it - though if specially rigged for an RV connection, who knows.

If it is a 50A 120V breaker, if your RV is rated at 30A service and does not have a 30A breaker at the entry point, then you would need to change the 50A breaker to a 30A one at a minimum even if the household circuit is rated for 50A, so you likely need an electrician anyway.

A 120V breaker, if you know which breaker controls that outlet, would be a single breaker - not two tied together side by side with a common throwbar like this which has two large wires coming into it.

Also - if you can plug a normal household tool or extension cord or lamp into it without an adapter, then it is 120V outlet - with either 2-prong outlet, or outdoor outlet should be 3-wire like these two images -

If this is a 220/240V outlet should have a funny looking outlet something like one of the following - (excepting the normal plug outlet appearances listed under 125V). Can be triangular or 4-sided outlet openings layout, and sometimes mix roundish and flat-blade prongs - and if the plug looks something like that on a range or dryer then is a 220/240V plug-in, not 120V -

I would check the owner's manual because these days many large RV's (motor home type) have 220/240V plugs. Should be detailed instructions on your shore power connection there. If it says 30A then likely 120V. Since you said the garage plug (or maybe you meant breaker) is rather large I suspect it is 220/240V, especially since 50A - perhaps you are looking at a shore power connection for a very large RV, or maybe an electric car plugin.

Generally, you should not use an adapter in an outlet because it usually means you are plugging in something that does not have the same voltage or amperage rating as the circuit you are tying into.

I would get an electrician to come out, determine what you have and modify as needed for your needs, and in the process I would have him eyeball your panel for any obvious safety flaws and to check main power wires for tight connections.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Brendon in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Let us know if you have any other questions, or visit the 24/7 Angie's List support site for additional help. Don't forget, if you have any home maintenance or improvement projects coming up, you can save time and money by shopping at AngiesList!

Thanks again. Have a great day!

Angie’s List

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy