Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/26/2017


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Assuming this is not just a sheet flooring product coming loose (glue debonding) - if you can peel up a loose corner see if damp or wet underneath.

I would assume probably a leaking toilet wax seal (seals between the bottom of the toilet and the drain pipe flanged up below it) on the uppermost toilet - presumably the one with the soft floor around it, which then maybe spread through the flooring to the other bathroom (which I would guess backs up on the soft toilet flooring one) and the foyer.

Or foyer might be a leak under the front door and unrelated to the bathrooms.

Or I mioght be totally wrong - might be from a leaking water pipe or roof or such - but until you start tearing into it generally hard to determine if you are not smelling urine smell (as would normally be the case if leaking toilet wax seal).

Solution is obviously fix the leak - and if the floor is spongy or soggy then generally the flooring has to come up, if it has been leaking long the subfloor sheathing taken up, and long-term rot in the flooring framing repaired/replaced, maybe bottom edge of drywall replaced if soaked and soft, disinfect affected areas before replacing flooring or wall surfaces or underlying ceiling, then reflooring and repainting as applicable.

Not a cheap operation if it affects several rooms, and may mean taking both those bathrooms out of service simultaneously unless you get a contractor agreement that one is to stay in service at all time (except for maybe 15-30 minute periods when water is shut off to do any leaking pipe repair).

And the bad news - unless this is a very recent thing, not likely to be covered by your homeowner's insurance - they almost never (at least on modern or updated policies) cover water/drain leaks that have gone for an extended period of time - so if moldy or fungusy, likely to not be covered. Check your policy for details.

A Water and Smoke Damage contractor can generally handle all the repair - or may be cheaper to go with a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath general contractor, though the response time (at least for cleanup and disinfection) is likely to be a lot quicker with a W&S Damage contractor. If covered by an insurance policy, the insurance company can also commonly help obtaining contractors they are used to dealing with under insurance coverage.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy