Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/23/2014


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would call your service provider - phone company for DSL, cable company for cable internet. Their tech can figure it out quickly - but before you call them you might want to discuss with their customer service office what type of service and type fo modem and router you need, and how much of that they supply as part of the service, so when the tech comes he can actually get you up and running rather than just trace cable. Easier to trace if modem/router is functional too. You will have to decide if you want wireless router (easier to install, easier for people to break into and steal your dataor plant viruses also), or hardwired. of connection also partly depends on your model of computer, as different make and age of computer have different communication protocols built into them

Usually not too complex to figure out, though granted there are many variations. Normally you have the incoming cable or phone or dish cable into the house from the internet service provider, that goes into a modem of some sort, then to a router (generally by ethernet cable) to distribute the service to various devices in the house. Modem and router may be separate or all-in-one, and of course can be hardwired (normally ethernet) or wireless or both. The various cables to the rooms then come out off the router to the different rooms and devices, so all the cables to the rooms lead back to the router eventually.

Generally, for hardwired, the phone wire will be standard phone jacks off normal flat phone wire, cable or dish TV will be the Coax cable type - screw-on connectors on fairly large round cable with large knurled connectors with long center prong on male end, single center hole in thefemale connectors like VCR's and DVD players use to connect to the TV cable, and ethernet for separate computer runs to the router will be ethernet cable - like phone connector with the push-the-tab to disconnect, but bigger connector, and the wire is much larger around and commonly colored. Like with phone connectors, you can see the wires coming into the clear connector - has 8 wires coming in to the connector versus normal 2 or 4 in phone connectors.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy