Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/14/2016

Want to remove aprox. 7-8ft of load bearing wall between kitchen & dining room.

Wall runs from back of house perpendicular to longer length of house for approximately 6.75ft, to current doorway between the 2 rooms & runs about 10ft after doorway to larger opening between living room & 2 story foyer. We'd like the entire 6.75 ft from the back of the house & about 1-1.5ft on the other side of current doorway removed. First floor level above a crawl space with second story bedroom above. The longer wall holds 1 electrical outlet & a triple light switch on dining side & single light switch on kitchen side. Other wall portion may not be possible if hot water manifold is to close to the end of the wall. Will then leave that as is. Realize we will require drywall repair, electrical work & new flooring. I gather my first step is the permit office & to hire a structural engineer to determine shoring up requirements. Interested in cost of just wall removal along with required load bearing restructuring work.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If this wall is perpendicular to the long side of the house, would commonly NOT be load-bearing unless under a higher-level wall, as it would normally parallel the floor joists. But as you say, you need a Structural Engineer to determine that and work up the removal/support plans as needed, BEFORE applying for the permit as you will need the engineer's plans to get the permit. (Or more commonly, have the contractor get the permit as part of his scope).

Then - a Remodeling - General Contractor would probably be your best bet to do the work considering electrical, maybe plumbing, carpentry, drywall, flooring (where wall was) and painting to be done.

As for issues of bearing versus non-bearing wall removal and cost. Put the words - load bearing - into the Ask box and it will bring up several links to similar questions with responses - more linked below each set of answers, with quite a few indicating typical cost ranges. Non-load bearing wall removal and patching up commonly in the one to couple thousand $ range - load bearing wall removal can typically run in the couple to few thousand $ in simple cases - then on up if substantial structural modifications have to be made, the span is large or there is not room for an acceptable appearance beam to carry the load, or special support provisions have to be carried down through the underlying story to new foundations for the piers or columns supporting the beam. But you will need bids to get a handle on the specific cost range for your job once the engineer (or engineer working under an Architect if you are looking for fancy structural arches or such supporting the new beam) has the design done.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy