Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/1/2018

Wanting to build a small pool house maybe about 20' x 40' with a master bedroom upstairs. How much am I looking at?

I have about 30'x40' behind my house and I want a pool house that I'm able to open up to bring the party indoors if it rains. I already erect a 20'x30' tent but I really want a permanent structure.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You will need plans and specs from an Architect to get building permit, and for contractors to bid and build to, so that is where to start. He/she should also be able to give you a pre-construction cost estimate specific to your design and locale.

VERY rough ballpark - commonly $80-120 in very low cost areas, $100-150/SF in normal cost areas, more like $150-250/SF in major higher-cost urban areas, $200-300/SF in very high cost areas (excluding areas like downtown SFO and NYC and such, where it can sometimes go to $300-500/SF including permits. All above assuming you already own the land.

First thing to do (architect is usually up to speed on this) is check zoning restrictions - setback requirements, allowable size for additional on-site living unit (not allowed at all in many areas, especially on smaller lots), need to increased septic or sewer capacity due to the added bedroom (regardless of whether it will ever be used as such - if it is there the capacity has to be provided), etc. May turn out building a summer room or gazebo without any living space will be needed to get it allowed.

If there is a restriction on an additional living units on your property, you might be able to get essentially what you want by calling it a change house or summer room or such - not putting in built-in closet or such upstairs and calling that a "storage room" to keep it from being called a "living unit".

Find out also what this is going to do to your property taxes - in some areas such structures, especially if rated as a living unit, can be real steep.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy