Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/24/2012

Was told service had to be 100 amp to buy home. Found out its only 60 amp. Who's liable to pay for service upgrade. I'm in Wisconsin.

I own the home now and getting sick of the flickering lights.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


NEC 230.79(C) One-Family Dwellings. For a one-family dwelling, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less then 100 amperes, 3-wire.

NEC230.79(D) All Others. For all other installations, the service disconnecting means shall have a rating of not less than 60 amperes.

1. Is this a single family home? Then 100A
2. Is this a multi dwelling building like a condo? Then 60A
3. States can require more than NEC but I don't think they can require less so unless this is a condo, I think the service is supposed to by 100A.

I don't know who is liable.


Answered 8 years ago by Kestrel Electric


Flickering lights?
Do they flicker when everything else is off?
If yes, something is making poor contact and may be burned.
Do you have Aluminum wire?


Answered 8 years ago by Kestrel Electric


Don't know why this showed up in current questions - since it looks to be 3 years old.

Anyway - as Kestrel said, if lights are flickering rather than maybe dimming during periods of heavy use, that is a bad connection, a breaker breaking down, or perhaps an electric motor with very worn brushes or an internal wiring flaw.

On the 60/100A issue he gave you code sections on - that is for new construction or rewire jobs - does not apply to existing homes. Don't know who said you needed 100A to be able to buy, but if that was not identified as a contingency that had to be taken care of before closing it is too late to go back against the seller now.

I am guessing it was an insurance company requirement - in which case is out of your pocket to do the upgrade now.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy