Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/3/2014

Water leaks from window frame during heavy rain. Can't figure out the cause. What kind of professional do I need?

Water leaks from window frame (not the window itself, but the moulding around it) during heavy rain, and the wall below the window is showing dampness. It is a second floor window in the center rear of the house. During the last storm I checked that the gutter was not overflowing and there were no obvious cracks or openings around the window. The roofing shingles look ok from afar, but I have not climbed up to examine them closely. What kind of professional do i need to diagnose and repair the issue? General repair? Roofer? Other? Thanks in advance for your advice.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Voted Best Answer

Here are a couple of similar prior questions with answers that might help you -

If you can get into the attic or see in through an eave vent from outside while standing on a ladder, check for wetness after the next rain - could be a roof or roof penetration leak running down the underside of the sheathing or rafters and dropping off at the wall, then running down into the wall.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


A good exterior specialist should be able to diagnose the leak. There are no specific rules of thumb, but general obsersations show us that a leak at the head of the window means that it is behind the exterior cladding and you need to look at the window trim and above. If the leak shows at the lower half or below the window, look at the sill as a starting point.

Answered 4 years ago by WoWHomeSolutions


water leaks from the top of the window frame 3 drops at one time together when it rains hard. who do i call.

Answered 3 years ago by lxwynn

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy