Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/12/2017

We need an exit door and stairway for church project to get underway in 3-4 weeks.

The church is a brick structure so permits, etc. will need to be pulled. The exit door will be located on the upper level of the church and will require steps to exit the building.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Hello Astuckey,

Thank you for reaching out. We are happy to help. If you have not done so already, please go to to set up a membership. Once completed you will have access to highly rated service providers in your area. By searching our Remodeling – General Category you will find a list of providers in your area that can assist with your project. We always encourage contacting 3 providers to get the best estimate for your project.


Iann M

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


3-4 weeks this time of year - good luck with that - this time of year start times are probably more like 4-6 weeks out from when a contract is signed, but if you use shop-fabricated steel stairs (whcih will likely be cheapest) might be doable.

As AL member services said, Remodeling - General Contractor would be the normal Search the List category for this type of work.

To get the permit you will need drawings for the structure of the stairs and for the support of the brick rough opening for the door - an Architect or Structural Engineer can do that for probably ab out $1000-1500. Many general contractors will get the plans as part of their scope of work if the appearance is not of great import to you - just make sure he has sealed plans (stamped and signed/dated by a licensed Architect or Professional Civil or Structural Engineer in your state) BEFORE he starts work, and of course that the license is in-hand before starting.

Couple of particular things to bear in mind for your type of job - depending on the capacity of the upstairs area, it may require a larger landing than the bare code minimum (public assembly buildings over 49 people (or some such similar number) commonly require a 10' landing rather than the minimum 6 feet normally required, the door has to open out and undoubtedly will need a pushbar type opener, and the landing and stairs will likely have to be concrete or steel to meet fire code - and likely have to be covered or enclosed if in an icy or snow susceptible area. Also, ADA (Americans with Disability Act) will undoubtedly apply so that needs to be considered - a good reason to use an Architect rather than an engineer for the plans (though an engineer working for him will likely design the actual stairs) because architects are more familiar with ADA and pecularities of local fire and building egress codes.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy