Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/5/2016

We hired a man, Mr. Tyler Parker to build a staircase for us, he took $500 deposit and ran. Never seen him again.

We've called him (801) 326-9028 he ran, we can't get him to confront us, face to face. He say's we are rude to him. I'm disabled and nearly 70yr's old. If I could I would show him rude......

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Here are a couple of links to recent questions with responses on job deposits which might help, FYI -

In your case, does not sound to me like he "ran off" - just that he does not want your job - though it could be he is a scammer and just using personality friction as an excuse to string you along. It could also be that he did find you rude - I have to admit your "if I could I would show him rude" comment sure leans that way. Anyway, I would suggest communicating with him and suggesting he send your deposit back with a contract modification (signed by him) cancelling the contract and showing no payment due, which you will also sign (and keep a signed copy of signed document) and send back to him (after you have cashed his check and seen it does not bounce). Best to send this request to him certified mail, signature required return receipt, so you have proof of mailing - and of course keep a copy of the letter as-sent.

If he fails to return your deposit or to communicate back, then your options are (pretty much in normal order of preference) to have an attorney write a stern letter demanding your deposit back with an agreed-upon contract cancellation, to call his Bond (i.e. get the bonding company to refund your deposit or to finish the job at the original contract price, assuming you had a contract), file a suit and take him to small claims court, file a fraud claim with his insurance company to try to get them to refund it, or to (if you think he is scamming you) file a fraud complaint with the state/local consumer fraud agency or a criminal fraud complaint with the police. Obviously, that last one is the "nuclear" option and requires that you think he is trying to defraud you and keep your deposit without doing any work. Most of these options (at least after the bonding company and not including the consumer fraud complaints) commonly involves uyou having an attorney to represent your interests - which for a $500 deposit does not make economic sense beyond possibly having an attorney write a stern letter for maybe $100-200.

And of course after all is said and done, an appropriate truthful Review on Al might be in order.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. I'm happy to help!

I've found some highly rated providers from the List. I’ve sent the providers via email.

As an Angie's List member, you can find these same results and additional providers by logging into your membership and searching in the "Search the List" tab.

If you would like information on additional providers through this forum, please let us know. You can respond to this thread or submit a new Answers post. You can also reach us at We're happy to help!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy