Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/9/2016

We want someone to install sidewalks using a 'porous pavement' at out home. Who can do this?

the material we want is made from rubber and allows for water to flow through. Not interested in pavers.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Google the search phrase "rubber porous driveway" to find manufacturer websites, which have installer lists on them.

Bear a couple of things in mind - the warranties on these products that I have seen are a zero - any damage from weathering, chemical, driving on it, etc are not covered - so if you plan on driving on your driveway don't count on warranty coverage. For sidewalks not such an issue of course.

From what I have seen, you also have to seal the surface every year or so to maintain the warranty, using a product supplied only by the drive manufacturer - at incredibly high prices, so be sure to look at your lifetime cost - going to be many times a normal asphalt or concrete paving I am sure.

The porous drive/parking area is a fine thing in theory to limit runoff - assuming the water drains to a place away from the house where it will not cause any problems. The fact the water drains through the base and subgrade under the drive/walk is also exactly what should NOT happen in a roadway or drive or sidewalk - the last thing you want is water under there eroding the soils there and causing frost heave. So - the preparation to allow the base to handlel the water inflow may well cost as much as doing an entire asphalt driveway paving job - and finding a contractor who knows how to do it right and will actually use the right materials and compact it correctly is a long shot.

Obviously, you can tell by now that I don't think much of this product - the applications I have seen failed in short order.

If you are committed to an infiltration surface, grass pavers or similar, grid concrete with openings for infiltration through grass or gravel, or porous concrete (in areas where you are not tracking significant road dirt onto the surface to cause clogging over the long run) is an alternative, but again finding a local contractor who knows how to mix and place it will be touch. It also is not as strong, nowhere near as long-lived unless much thicker, commonly has rebar staining issues, and is more frost and ice melt damage susceptible than normal concrete. Expect to pay 2-4 times normal paving cost for permeable surface.

One other alternative for a sidewalk would be an interlocking rubber pervious paving mat - fits together like child's or garage workshop floor padding interlocking foam sheets or rolls, for a cost similar to concrete or asphalt. Not suitable for being driven on.

One other thing on the rubber walk - be sure it is not one of the types that is "soft" or has significant openings because it will be a liability trap for high heels.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


Porous pavement is a name of a product and not a term or description. It is managed by a local company but I was looking for a contractor who would install it. I do not want a concrete walkway, slate or grass block or I would of already done that. I wanted to see if any contractors were versed in this type of pavement and if so provide a price. It is not for driving on but for a walkway as stated in the earlier question.

If any contractors is quakified please step up and let me know.

Answered 3 years ago by Guest_9376094


OK - be careful in your contract tht you specify the exact product name and manufacturer name, because "porous pavement" and "porous concrete" has been around as a concrete mix design for over 150 years - commonly used for underdrainage in hydraulic and hydropower installations and for under-drainage in tunnel linings and large buildings and mass concrete structures, and for self-draining pavements. As you can see if you google, term is also used for other non-concrete products like "rubber crete" - so fail to specify the exact local manufacturer of the product you want and you may be in for a surprise in what you get.

Why not just contact the manufacturer and see if they have a list of contractors in your area who have experience in applying it - then cross-check those names on AL for ratings and reviews ?

Note - don't expect responses from contractors to your request from here - this is a nationwide Q&A forum which is not goingto be routinely tracked by contractors looking for job to bid on - you need to find the contractors yourself and contact them. I would start with the manufacturer, and if no luck there try calling Driveway and Concrete contractors to see if they have heard of it ever being done and who did it.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD


I do know a distributor and will call. I am aware of what I am asking for

Answered 3 years ago by Guest_9376094

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy