Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/27/2012

We have a leak in our 2nd story window which is dripping to the 1st story window, poss through the walls. What sort of repair co to call?

The leak is in our "great" room. We had a window person look at the window flashing a couple of years ago and had that repaired, but that didn't seem to be the problem because it's still leaking (even after a $1700 repair. ugh). Not sure if we should call a window person or a contractor.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


I would recommend a contractor or a handyman. Either should have a good knowledge of all the aspects pertaining to the repair. You need someone who knows about windows, flashing, drywall, framing and mold (maybe). If this has been leaking in the wall for many years, you may have bigger problems than a leak. It is best to have it thoroughly checked and repaired properly. Often fixing the initial problem doesn't fix the entirety of issues caused by it. The one thing I can guarantee is that fixing it correctly now will be less expensive than fixing it later!

Answered 7 years ago by Vern


The frustrating issue about window leaks is that the source is usually not where you suspect it is. It may be coming from another place on the roof or on the side of the house where the two windows are located. I would go to to the local hardware store (one that has been in business for 50 or 70 years and is not a "big-box" store) that sells materials to tradesmen, and get a recommendation from them for a well regarded roofer or window installer. They should be able to diagnose the problem for free, at least to one or two possibiltiies. The bad news is this type of problem often requires replacing moldy sheetrock or rotted siding (or both) so the sooner it is fixed, the smaller the amount of permanent and expensive damage.

Answered 7 years ago by Second Century Homes


The thing I don't like about getting referrals from the hardware store guys is that they only know how much stuff a guy buys from them. That only attests to his sales ability and not to the quality of his work. Additionally, you may get a referral to an incompetent son-in-law or nephew who is borrowing too much money!

Answered 7 years ago by Vern

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy