Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/21/2015

We live in Spokane County, Washington, need help for dentures & glasses. Low income $1290 5 months yr, $1768 7mo yr

I had all my teeth pulled last spring, Could not afford dentures. My husband needs his pulled and denture's too. Our income is $1798 a month 7 months of the year and $1290 5 months of the year. Social Security income. Husband substitute teaches 7 months. We only have Medicare insurance it does not cover dentures or glasses. Medicaid won't pay they said we have $348 to much a month. They don't count all our expenses Mortgage $605, Utilities $310 month, auto insurance $50 month, rural no buses. gas, oil, $200 ,$45 for other annual expenses, Food $200 month plus we go to food bank for help. $80 internet need for husband's work. Hubby was in auto accident broken leg, seeing chiropractor $60 a month, my meds $25. We both need eyeglasses. Me bifocals. Can't afford to buy dental/vision insurance looked into it is not there. Need good denturist who can take payments $35 month, I Need shoes & clothing 3X, I have no teeth since August .

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sorry to hear of your distress - hopefully things will start looking up.

Couple of possible resources:

1) talk to county health department about programs like you are talking about

2) many county or state dental associations have annual exam and appointment programs for free or deeply discounted dental care for low income/disabled individuals

3) maybe ditto for optometrists associations - I don't know about that. Rotary International might be a possibility there too - I know they provide that service overseas and they have portable vision check programs with eyeglass prescriptions in our area

4) check with box store type vision centers like Vista Optical that have an optomotrist on-site - they may have low-income assistance pricing also

5) United Way might be able to put you on to such programs too - I know Salvation Army and some other organizations have "field days" to help provide such items to low-income individuals

6) if near a dental or optometry/opthamology school, they commonly have deeply discounted or free services for patients willing to be used as practice patients (with faculty supervision, of course) for their students to develop their skills

7) if either of you is a veteran, depending on income limitations you may be able to get the services at the VA. More lenient criteria if service-connected disabled, and much more coverage available if over 50% service-connected disabled. For non-service connected disability or no disability, many areas also have medical/vision assistance through field days for veterans run by the American Legion or VFW or such.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy