Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/9/2017

We need repair work done on an overhang section of the roof

The building has 6 units and the overhang covers two units hanging about 6 feet over the entrance and steps. We have an urgent need for someone to repair this section before it falls onto someone entering or exiting the units. We would like it stabilized until later this Spring 2017

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You don't say excatly what is happening - are rafters cracking, rotted out, or what ? No way to tell if this is a decay/rot issue - requiring local replacement, or part of a structural inadequacy, like the roof extends too far out unsupported for the rafter size so you need reinforcement of the overhanging supporting members, or end supports through columns or such.

And stabilization - if a structural overload issue temporary columns near the ends of the rafter tails might work for awhile - but you would probably be better off having it inspected by a Structural Engineer (your Search the List category) to determine what is going on an a reasonable repair or replacement. You are highly likely to need a Structural's report/design for remediation to be able to get a building permit anyway, plus his design/remediation plan would provide the basis for bidders to bid on the work and the successful bidder to build from. Cost, assuming this is NOT indicative of serious roof support failure up under the roof over the house, due to leakage or snow overload or such, probably about $250-500 for the engineer's assessment and design.

It is quite likely that the full repair or local replacement, especially if not related to an overall roof support system failure up under the roof, would not be vastly more expensive than an interim fix - depending largely on whether reinforcement or columns (or building a portal-type entry there) will work, or if a section of roof needs to be torn off to make the repair. If the sheer 6' overhang is the problem (that is AWFUL long for normal 2x6 or 2x8 rafter overhang), it might be a couple of concrete footers and wood or steel columns up to a beam placed under the rafter tails a foot or two in from their ends (to protect the beam from weather) would be all you need.

The Search the List category for a contractor do to a repair would likely be a Roofing company if it is something likely to need roof tearoff to repair roof framing - or for that or structural support to the existing framing likely a General Contractor who does small remodel and addition jobs. Or a Carpener - Framing who has an employee or two, because the repair/supports needed are likley to be too big for one man to handle/erect.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy