Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/30/2015

What should I expect to pay to have a sump pump connected to a run off drain?

Currently the sump pump at my Mom's house (built in 1964 in Harrison Township) is draining out into her backyard. We now want to have it drain toward the front of her house into the run off drain maintained by the County Road Commission.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Depends on how far you need to piope it to the drain - assuming it is legal to connect to that drain, which I would consider dubious at least for a direct rather than over-surface connection, because generally they do not want direct connections to their system because they tend to overload it.

Be sure to consider freezing conditions too - you do NOT want the sump pump pipe freezing up on you.

If allowed, and assuming no freezing issues, probably about $5-10/LF installed depending on if buried and depth of burial needed - assuming if it has to go down moire than a foot or two that it is also a long run (50+ feet). Also assuming there is enough elevation difference to get appropriate (preferably 2% or more) slope, so a booster sump and pump or replumbing back to the pump for higher discharge elevation is not needed.

Certainly, if run in a basement or crawl space, it would be far better to run the piping through warm house spaces than outside the house if her area ever gets to freezing.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


Here is a link to a related question with response I was looking for but did not find when I first answered your question -

For your purpose, unless it would cause risk of foundation flooding, I would recommend discharging to a surface drain swale leading to the county system, rather than a pipe - less chance of plugging, hidden damage, root blockage, outlet blockage, etc. Assuming the slope works for you. Or discharge to back yard as before, then put in a drain pipe or french drain from back to front yard (considering leak blockage and freezing possibilities) to get the water to where you want to discharge it.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy