Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/17/2017

What is something I can fill the gaps with in between my screen and window in my apartment that will keep out bugs.

I live in an apartment where my screens are pretty bent up at the bottom, and lots of bugs are coming in. I called and had them spray, but that did not seem to help. I have vacuumed, scrubbed and cleaned the nasty window cracks, but I want something that I can fill the gaps with that will stop the bugs. I also don't want anything too permanent because I don't want to risk losing my security deposit when I move out. I have called and asked if I could have the screens replaced, but they wont do that either. Any suggestions?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


peel and stick foam window and door weather striping

Answered 3 years ago by the new window man


You would have to check with local housing code compliance authority on whether screens have to be intact and functional in your area - assuming this is a rental, not a lease or owned apartment where it would be your responsibility. Generally, if a rented apartment, in most cities at least one window has to be screened properly and commonly ALL opening windows and sliding doors, and would be the responsibility of the management to repair them.

NewWindowMan is right on the solution - but to avoid possible damage deposit risk I might not actually peel/adhere the peel-and-stick weatherstripping to it - maybe just press fit it into place. if you do stick it, I would stick it to the screen frame, not the window frame - so it does not leave sticky residue on the window and also be a pain to remove come repainting time. Other things you can use to fill the gap - shove in narrow folded strip of the small-bubble bubble wrap like Amazon uses to wrap some items in or sometimes comes in DVD cases to keep the DVD from popping off the retaining clips in shipping. If you can't find any laying around UPS store and similar packaging stores will surely sell you a few feert off a roll - or you might be able to peel some out of a padded mailing envelope. Some people use tape but pretty much guaranteed to leave sticky residue and not come off nicely, so security deposit risk there.

You could look at the screen frame - if solid aluminum crimped together at the corners harder to fix yourself but some can be cut and DIY type corner blocks put in, but if metal frames with plastic or metal corner blocks like this -

(More detailed videos on manufacturer websites, like at Saint-Gobain or Primeline Products), then you should be able to get new frame stock and spline roller and repair it yourself. If the screening is not torn you can normally (with 2 people), with this type of framing, "unzip" the locking strip to release the screening at the bad end, remove the bent piece of framing, cut a new piece to proper length (match to other matching side) using a hacksaw or razor saw, and reassemble, pulling the screening tight and reinserting and rolling in the compression locking strip with the roller tool (which costs about $3-6 - called a window screen spline roller or similar - at any box or home improvement store which sells the screening and framing materials). Pretty hard to reuse the screening if doing it alone unless you use spring clamps to hold the screening tight till you roll the spline in, unless yuou happen to be an octopus.

Or if severely bent, build yourself a totally new window screen (may or may not be able to reuse the existing screening) - not a tough 1-person job with new screening because you cut somewhat oversize to install, then trim with scissors or X-Acto knife. But you will need hack saw or such, and if doing more than just a couple of cuts is nice to have a cheap ($10-15) miter box to hold the stock while cutting so you get neat cuts (which might be 90 degree or 45 degree depending on frame corner design - the 90 degree corner pieces - so 90 degree frame cuts - hold better).

Professionally - most Handymen could repair/build new screen to fit - or probably cheaper you can take old ones in to a window replacement shop - almost all do screen repairs or at least build new ones (some will not repair or will charge as much for a repair as for a new screen). If badly bent take in accurate measurements of the space the screen fits into as well.

On the bent up at the bottom thing - sounds like you have interior screens - that fit into slots in the frame on the inside of the window, and because they are a press-fit soemone pried up with a screwdriver to such to pop them mout for the winter or for cleaning. If you need to pry up a bit to pop them out, do it at the corners - but usually you gently pry the middle of the long side inward till you can get a finger under it, then same at other side, and gently (puulling on both long edges evenly) bow the screen till it pops out of the end slots. Reinstall same way - slip one end into slot, then gentlyh bow the long dimension of the screen frame with one hand while popping the other end into place, one side at a time. On all but quite small windows you can do this without kinking the frame.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy