Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/25/2017

What should I pay for cutting & burning brush for 8 hours.

I'm working on bartering work for a travel trailer.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are a couple of previous similar questions with answers which might help - aside from the "typical" rates I gave, in lower cost areas you might get labor for as cheap as minimum wage, especially if using "off-the'books" workers hanging out at Home Depot or such or in the deep south or such.

Bear in mind, if paying cash or if paying by barter you will almost certainly be considered an employer, not a contractor's client - which invokes federal and state withholding and disability and unemployment tax liabilities and the need for worker's compensation insurance on you, plus your homeowner's insurance will most likely not cover you in the event of accident.

A lot safer - maintain a contractor - client relationship for a specified rate (hourly if you must, better to go lump sum for a specified amount of work), make sure he is at least business insured (bonding not real important in this sort of work) - then if he wants to take the money you pay him and turn around and buy the travel trailer from you (for that amount of some other amount) that is just a private transaction between you and the contractor owner or employee. Also avoids the income taxissue - if you barter, the value of the work/trailer is income to you. If you sell it privately as a used item, is only income taxable if you sell it for more than you bought it for, which is mighty unlikely. Sale tax "might" be due, but unlikely - generally does not apply to non-commercial private "garage" sale type sales.

If licensed, be sure to get the trailer reregistered in the buyer's name so you cannot be held liable if involved in an accident somewhere down the road.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy