Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/2/2014

What will be average cost to demolish load bearing wall ( 12 by 10) ? This wall is dividing living room and dinning

At the bottom of this wall we have baseboard heating and 2 power outlet too.
We have hardwood floor.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

There is NO such thing as an average cost !

You are going to be required to have a building permit and the Building Comissioner

or Senior Permit Official of your local permit office will issue a determination as to whether you will be required to have a Steel Bearing Beam , a Laminated Bearing Beam or some other Beam to support weight of the structure you want to ammend . You may also be required to install Bearing support posts footings, at either end of the beam as well. Much will depend as to what is over and under the space that you wish to span .The official may require you to retain an Architectual Engineer to perform a Load study and computations and require you to comply with his recomendations .

Until you know what is required by the Permitting Office , Then and only then will you be able to determine the true costs .

The fact that you have existing baseboard heat , and we know NOT if it is electric or radiant baseboard heat will complicate the issue as well the existing electrical outlets which may need to be sunken into the floor in order to maintain the electrical circuitry as it exists.

Past experience in these matters , indicate possible costs to range from $4000.00 to as much as $8k -$10,000.00 . I realise that these cost ranges are probably NOT what you want or expect , but There are too many unknowns to attempt a closer cost expectation or range of expenses !

Answered 6 years ago by BentheBuilder


Here is a prior response to a similar question that will get you started -

For conversion to a pass-through breakfast counter or pass-through wall, which means taking out some but not all studs and replacing them with a header beam part way across the width, a couple of thousand range minimum, and up to double that at times, depending your situation like wall structure, wall finishes, etc.

For total removal from ceiling to floor level and full width, then you are talking a major structural revision - can easily run $2-5000 range if you can accept a roughly foot deep beam across the top of the opening and you are on bottom floor with concrete slab underneath, all the way up to $10,000 range and occasionally more if supports have to be put under the ends through the floor below or need new piers into the ground below, or if you have to open up the ceiling above and double or triple up joists to carry the load that the wall used to so there is no overhead beam dropped down across the opening.

And of course, in addition to a carpenter (or concrete contractor or mason if concrete or brick wall) you will be needing a plumber and electrician to relocate those lines and probably put a new radiator unit in to replace the one being taken out so those rooms still have adequate heat, and also flooring install where the wall comes out, probably a drywall person to repair/modify drywall openings, and likely a finish carpenter for trim and such around the final opening.

Generally, much harder to do in any type construction that is not normal stick-built wood frame.

Therefore, you need an architect (if you want help with design of the change) or structural engineer (if you want only structural plans and you will detail out the architectural finishes and such with the contractor) for plans needed to tell the contractor what to do and to be able to get building permit (which is needed in this case). For the actual work, because of the number of trades involved, a General Contractor - Remodel, Kitchen and Bath is the category you should Search the List for if your architect cannot give you a referral you are happy with, or not enough to get 3 bids from.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy