Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/21/2015

What do you do when the contractor stops working on your house before they are finished? Unlivable house for 1 yr.

My mom's house had some poor roofwork done before she bought it and they broke the trusses. She hired a general contractor to retruss the roof, then install a new metal roof, then install AC in the addition. It's now been a year since they tore the ceilings down to look at what needed to be done. They retrussed the roof 6 months ago but still have not put on the metal roof. They've been given money but nothing happens. We can't get in touch with them by phone, they eventually get back by email but still nothing happens even though additional promises are made. The house has been unlivable for a year now. She bought it to be close to her grandchildren and she's lost a year and can't move into her new home. The new leaks have destroyed another room and now we are getting into winter with no way of keeping heat for water pipes. Can anyone tell me what we should do next?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

Not sure how poor roofwork could "break the trusses" - but that is neither here nor there at this point. Course, you don't need me to tell you that you have let this contractor go WAYYYY to long without snubbing him up.

This is becoming one of the more common type questions - here are links to some prior ones that might help you - note there are different situations in each case so the specific recommendations might not apply in your case, but generally will give you an idea of the alternatives you have, though in your case and considering it is probably getting substantial water damage with no roof, I would say you should start with a contracts attorney - hopefully you have the record of contacts and promises, but sounds like you need to call his Bond and have the Bondeing company pay for another contractor to finish the job. Your mother may well have damage claims that could be made against his insurance since there has been water damage and such.

If she is elderly, there may also be elder fraud charges that could be brought.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy