Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/11/2017

What should it cost to create a new window opening and then install the window on a hardiplank home?

I already own the windows. I actually have 5 I want to install. Two are transoms, the rest are regular double hung, but I'm just trying to get a ball park for one window for now. Thank you.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Would like to add that I know there will be no electric or wiring issues where the windows go. Thank you again, PennyD

Answered 3 years ago by PennyD


While a Window contractor would seem the obvious contractor for this, they commonly do not like doing new window openings (as opposed to just window replacements, plus since they are not selling you the windows many are not likely to want the job, because you took the high-profit portion away from them.

Remodeling - General Contractor is probably the more suitable type contractor for this.

For one window (assuming these are maybe 45" maximum width (window frame outside dimension), so only one or two studs coming out (so normally no major structural work needed) probably about $600-1000 would be what I would expect - maybe more in the $500-800 range if not more than one stud being removed.

Doing all 5 at one time, again assuming about 45" max width, probably in the $3000-4500 range I would expect. For wider windows - from about 4-8 feet, figure $500-1000 additional per window opening, depending a LOT on the structural loads and such. Ditto if the transom windows are going over an existing exterior door which was not initially framed for it, because the door unit may have to come out to remove and raise the door header to make room for the transom, because there is usually a 10-16" high load-carrying beam over the door.

These numbers all assume typical wood frame house - generally more for steel frame, quite a bit more for concrete or solid brick construction, by a couple hundred to $500 or more per opening.

Be sure to talk to your bidders about how they intend to waer seal the windows, and what they are going to do about fastening the siding - you can google window manufacturer sites or This Old House or such for general info on the triple-layer water protection that shoulds be used (including full ice and water shield in the rough opening and typing in to the house wrap, then house wrap strips over the house wrap, then flashing (which may be integral to the window frame as flashing/nailing strips.

He should also be able to describe how he is going to (with most brands of windows) remove some siding around the window to tie the water barrier and flashing in. With the types with detached flashing, which can SOMETIMES be put in without removing siding, he should still explain how the waterbarrier layers will be integrated with the house wrap to provide a water-tight backup to the flashing, and how the flashing will keep water from gettting into the window opening. Just caulk is NOT anywhere adequate. If a bidder is not readily able to sketch out how the layers will overlay and seal, he is not the man for the job - just slipping the window into the opening with gobs of caulk or compressible foam does not cut it.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy