Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/8/2016

What is the cost of a yearly contract to inspect an advanced system septic system?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You don't say what kind of a system - there are a half dozen "advanced" types - I am assuming single-family.

A simple raised bed leach field system needing only yearly inspection under the construction permit might run about $300-500 depending on your area - including pumping the tank, which is most of the cost. This would be by a septic pumping firm in most states unless designated "elevated risk" because it is in a wetlands, near anumber of water wells or a public wagter supply source etc, and the "inspection" would be only that required by law - that sewage is flowing to the tank, there be no evidence of tank failure or leakage or overflow, no surficial evidence of seepage from the leach field, etc.

On the other extreme, an experimental (not meeting standard septic system design criteria) personal biota or cold effluent processing tank waste system might be required to have testing of the effluent every month to a year depending on design and locale, and an annual professional civil engineer (septic system design and inspection certified/qualified) - costing typically about $250 per effluent test and about $300-500 for the engineer's inspection. Or might cost nothing, if your locale / state does not regulate such small ADF (average daily flow) systems. Ditto to in-house closed system advanced treatment systems - biota digester (worm or such) digester with 100% liquid recycling systems, for instance.

In many areas there are no requirements for small single-family or duplex septic systems - in others none for up to 6-plex systems.

You would have to find out what type of testing and inspection your system will be required to have by your local septic system licensing agency (or get from your engineer), then talk to your civil engineer who is doing the design (or did the purchase inspection if a new house for you) about the inspection and test fees. Very few will do an annual contract - just charge you as the tests and inspections are done.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy