Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/10/2017

What is the best flooring to install in highrise condo that has cement floors, needs soundproof

Will be a rental unit. Could have convector leaks during summer. I'm looking at Vinyl planks rather than carpeting.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Because you are talking about possible water leaks on it,I would recommned only two things - throw rug that can be hung out to dry, or solid-sheet seamless flooring with edge sealing at the baseboards if leak could flow that far. Or put a fabric pad (to avoid plastic-to-plastic sticking) under a catchpan under the converctor - assuming it is portable. If wall mounted and you are afraid of pipe leaks, then again a removeable rug or carpet that can be pulled up and dried. Most water-resistant would be polished or epoxy/urea coated concrete. Tile or stone flooring is also of course viable in a location prone to occasional wetting.

However - those solutions generally are not the thing for dealing with the noise issue - where a thick tight-pile carpet over a sound-absorbing foam padding would be the best commonly-avaiable and economic solution to limit noise issues. But of course leakage issues raises the risk of mildew/mold issues if not promptly wiped up and dried out, which you might not assume would be done in a rental unit. In rentals assume minimal or zero occupant maintenance or care in handling leakage.

Nother solution - go with the soundproof flooring you want (sound-absorbing padding under carpet or laminate/engineered wood flooring), and mount the convector (even if portable) pearmanently, with drainpan and drain pipe leading away from it to outside as a drip pipe, with appropriate insect screening on the outlet. Certainly, if looking at solid flooring and you want padding to absorb noise, a solid vinyl flooring like Pergo and Mannington and other sell is preferable to a laminate or engineered wood with actual wood products in it - and if it might get water under it, a snap plank type that can be taken up if needed. If going that way, be sure to keep a box or two of spare planks, because when you take them up at least a few invariably have parts of the tongue snap off in taking them apart.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy