Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/5/2013

What are some good products to seal minor leaks in basement and a waterproofing sealer?

I have minor leaks in basement walls when it rains. I planned in addressing the small holes with hydralic cements and then coating with DRYLOC? Is this a good idea?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


UGL Dryloc is an old standby for moisture proofing, ie damp proofing an unpainted wall. You might try a White Geocel an elastomic tri-polymer as well. Menard's or other big box store. Both these products are mucho stinky so beware.

Jim Casper very old waterproofing guru

Answered 6 years ago by jccasper


An interior surface waterproofer is, at best, a water retarder. The proper treatment, if cost was no object, is applying the waterproofing on the outside of the wall, and eliminating (to the maximum extent possible) the source of the water.

I would suggest you read the questions over the past month or two in the Home > Basement Waterproofing section of Browse Project at lower left this page, regarding how to stop the water from getting to your basement wall in the first place.

Putting a waterproofing agent on the inside is sort of like putting saran wrap on it - on the outside of the wall th water pressure will hold it in place, but on the inside it will, if it actually does stop water (most don't) will just blow and peel off.

If the holes and cracks are good-sized (say 1/8-1/4" or so) or larger, then hydraulic cement can work well because it is cementatious so it actually bonds to the adjacent material. Be sure to follow instructions regarding moisture on the surfaces being applied to - some products want it dry, some damp.

If you have smaller holes, or ones larger than 1/2" I would initially use a PAINTABLE siliconized latex caulk. For the smaller holes that is all - cut tip just wider than crack and hold TIGHT to crack while applying so it penetrates the crack. For larger holes, I would stick the tip all the way in and inject some caulk at the bottom, but leave the surface portion of the crack for hydraulic cement.

DRYLOC or equivalent (made by USG, 3M and others) products are also available as a surface treatment. The most effective ones for interior use (which rules out the tar and bitumastic compounds) are the penetrating crystalline compounds that actually wick into the crack and form a crystalline seal, and the 2-component epoxies (which require a dry wall to apply to) that are far stronger and more watertight than the other products. However, you essentially have to use concrete patch to smooth the surface or the concrete or block first or the cost will be prohibitive - the epoxies run about $70-150/gallon. These products require REALLY serious wall scrubbing and cleaning to assure a good bond.

Personally I had several consecutive bad experiences with DryLok, so I recommend Benjamin Moore Moorelastic 060 Acrylic Elastomeric Membrane coating for damp (but not LEAKING) basement walls, both from personal and professional use. It really bonds well and will build a thick film for rough surfaces, and provides a good moisture barrier. However, it will NOT stop a leak through a distinct gap - none of the paint-on (as opposed to injected or crystalline/cement based products) can do that.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy