Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/16/2018

What if it’s your husband who keeps the yard filled with junk ? Tractors boats trailers tires metal parts all kinds

He doesn’t care what I think or the neighbors either

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Are you sure you did not confuse Angies List with Dear Abby, as the place to post this question ?

Possible solutions I can think of, in no particular order, excluding the illegal ones like adding him to the junk pile before having it all hauled away - all of which have possible consequences, and bear in mind you will be equally liable for any actions or fines that result, presuming your name is on the title/deed for the property with his:

0) since you said he does not listen to you, sounds like sitting down and explaining how uncomfortable and "junky" or "trailer trashy" this makes you feel is not going to get anywhere, or has already been tried

1) give him an ultimatum - the junk or me (and be prepared to start walking because with a lot of people tossing out the "but I can use that in the future" stuff makes the decision a no-braine, and not in your favor)

2) if your local government allows anonymous complaints, file one (maybe with photos) with the appropriate department (commonly Planning and Zoning) about a junk property. If harboring snakes/rats/etc or includes bags of actual food garbage and such, then Health Department will commonly get involved for that reason.

3) if property is covered by a condo or homeowner's association, ditto to them (or probably actually first)

4) get a neighbor friend (who is friendly with you, not so much with him) to file a complaint about a neighborhood eyesore/junk property

5) if you think this is a serious obsessive hoarding thing, notify and get his doctor to give him an assessment for senility/Alzheimers/hoarding syndrome, etc

6) convince him it is time for the two of you to move to a "retirement home" - either a new home or trailer park or whatever with very small yard where (hopefully) you can keep the accumulation from restarting, or to a retirement community with strict enforcement and no place to store stuff like that - postage stamp or zero yard location

7) take off on an around-the-world cruise and either forget to come back, or while gone (have your grown children, if any, help maybe) have a cleanup contractor haul it all off while away - but be prepared for an explosion when he comes back to all his "stuff" missing

8) divorce him and the problem in one fell swoop

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy