Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/8/2014

What kind of contractor fixes truss uplift?

House is frame house on concrete slab, no basement, built 1963.

In the winter a gap of at least one inch appears btwn ceiling and wall in living room. In the summer it closes. There are also cracks in the dry wall in various places nearby. One wall in the hallway is pulled up from the floor and is bowing out at the bottom. There are also cracking sounds in the attic above where this occurs - this is a daily thing.

I'm thinking the prob is truss uplift and possibly the foundation sinking too, but am not sure. Who do I hire to figure out what is going on and fix it?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

Clearly, you need a structural engineer who deals with residential issues.

Sounds like probably the gap problem occurred, which should be solved by making the ceiling drywall flexible so it bridged the gap, but someone probably tied the trusses down to the intermediate wall instead, so when the truss wood shrinks it is lifting the wall. This is VERY bad for the trusses and can pull them apart - probably the cracking noise you hear.

Therefore, the lifting itself is normal and unavoidable - but since it is lifting the wall, you need the situation looked at by a structural engineer to assess the truss situation, and write up a remedial plan - which would include repairs to damaged trusses, cutting the trusses free fo the wall, maybe shimming the bottom or top of the wall to remove some of the 1 inch gap, and removing the fasteners in the ceiling drywall for the 2-3 feet closest to the wall and caulking and firring it to the wall so that edge moves with the wall - or caulking the joint and putting in crown molding fastened to the ceiling but not the wall, which will slide up and down with the ceiling.

Since you are writing this now and say it is a daily thing, this does not sound like normal winter wood drying out (unless you are in a very hot, dry summer climate like the desert where this is a summer occurrence rather than the normal winter case), it is also possible that you have a settlement problem pullinthe wall down rather than the trusses lifting the wall up - same problem,possibly different cause, and the engineer should look at the foundation for bowing or sagging or cracking also - running a level around and through the house to measure tilting or sagging should identify if that is the issue - also should determine if ground movements like a sinkhole (if in sinkhole country) or sidehill slope instability is the cause,if you are built on a hillside.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy