Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/22/2014

What kind of contractor replaces chimney caps? Do I need a roofer, siding, chimney sweep, HVAC?

Our chimney cap blew off in a storm and needs to be replaced.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers

Voted Best Answer

Certainly a qualified chimney sweep would be able to replace your chimney cap. Chimney sweeps should offer a higher quality replacement option as we deal with manufacturers and chimney cap fabricators that can build custom caps or standard flat lid caps in stainless steel , copper, or galvanized metal painted black. Home improvement stores offer chimney caps but these are the ones that I get calls about replacing from blow offs.

Flue mounted caps and top mounted multiflue caps have different ways of attaching them to the chimney or flue. While he is replacing the cap they can do a chimney top inspection of the crown and flashing. I would avoid the handyman option as I follow them correcting their mistakes and poor decisions regarding chimney maintenance and repairs. Hope this helps.

David Lamm

The Classic Chimney Sweep


Answered 5 years ago by classicchimney


Chimney sweep would be your first choice, by all means. If the riser pipe or brackets it mount to are intact and not broken off, a handyman shold be able to go up and measure the size, go get one, and put it on with no trouble too - usually just 3-8 sheet metal screws fastening it on. If you have the old cap, may jiust be able to remount it and screw it down.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


A chimney cap is on your chimney, therefore, you need a chimney company.

Answered 5 years ago by Guest_9600280


A point of clarification -

When David Lamm of ClassicChimney mentioned "flat lid" chimney caps that is an industry term that does not necessarily mean exactly what it sounds like. You should NEVER use an actually "flat" cap even though a lot of companies make them - should always have a crown or peak to it so water runs off - otherwise it is accumulate water, meltwater from snow will stand on it, a bit of snow load or even thermal heating can dish it down a bit then water stands on it and corrodes through eventually if galvanized or copper. Stainless "technically" will not rust through - but between cheap chinese steel tht is not true stainless and corrosion in the steel from flue gas acids, I have seen several stainless caps corrode through too. A proper "flat cap" or "flat lid" looks like this or can have even steeper slopes all the way up to a sharp peak, for architectural purposes -

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy