Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/23/2013

What kind of insurance should Tree Service contractors carry?

I live in California and I want some large trees trimmed. I want to make sure the people I hire are properly insured and licensed. What should I look for or ask to see in terms of their insurance or licensing?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


At a minimum, any contractor that's working in your home or on your property should carry liability insurance and worker's compensation insurance. This is especially true for tree service companies, as the work can be extremely dangerous. Here are some Angie's List tips on hiring a tree service company.

According to the Angie's List License Check tool, in California, tree companies need to carry a "Tree Service Contractor (D49) License." Before you hire any company, be sure to check that they're properly licensed via the California Contractors State License Board.

Good luck with your hiring! Please let me know if I can provide any additional assistance or information by submitting a new answer to this Q&A.

You can also contact a neigborhood specialist at or toll-free at 1-866-783-2980 (M-F 8:30-8:15 ET or Sat. from 8:30-3:00 ET.)

Answered 7 years ago by JP


First comment is on the mark. Also:

In addition to getting a copy of their (be sure they are current) liability and workers comp insurance certificates and specialty contractor license, you should also get a copy of their bond certificate. Most states municipalities specify the minimum amnount of insurance coverage and bonding required.

The insurance protects you from lawsuits (financial protection - nothing keeps someone from suing you) if a worker gets injured or they injure someone else or their property while on your property, the bond is something you can file a claim against if they fail to do the job or cause physical injury to your house, say bringing a tree down through your house for instance, or fail to complete the job.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy