Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/26/2013

What kind of license does a tree removal service need?

I want to know how and where to check a company's license and proof of insurance.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

The contractor's license (not to be confused with State or City Business License) you should be able to check online - if not available in your area, then call to check. Where depends on state - most states license contractors, so go to the licensing or commerce department on the state website - for a search term use - business license

Insurance does not have a central registry - you need to have him give you a copy of the declarations page (the one like on your car insurance that lists all the coverages and time in effect), or a Certificate of Insurance (looks similar but without how much he pays) from the insurance company. You then need to call the insurance company to confirm it is still in force - because if he cancelled you would otherwise have no way to know. The Certificate of Insurance is more convenient for this, because it can be issued by the local insurance on a job-by-job basis, so would be very recent dated (within a few days) if prepared for your job.

Make sure he has liability insurance as well as Workmen's Compensation insurance - two separate coerages, and commonly from different carriers.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD


As LCD pointed out it depends on the state where the work is to be completed. In our state Virginia, our board of contractors doesn't have a regulation or definition of tree removal in the requirements for a contractors license. Therefore, they don't regulate tree services. So, in Virginia to be in compliance with the law, a tree service needs to be licensed in the town they are from, and in areas they practice in.

The other answer that LCD gave is also true, but there are exceptions to the workers compensation coverage you should know: most states do not require a micro- company to be covered (a company less then 3 full time employees

). There are world class tree services that have 2 or 3 people!

Our best advice is to check with your local government, and hire ISA certified arborist operated businesses, the process of certification is voluntary, and proves certian levels of expertise. Once a certification is awarded the professional must swear to an ethical code to conduct business in the highest standards for the profession. This code can be found at this is the official website for the International Soceity of Arboriculture.

The best thing is to interview several qualified experts and then choose from them the one you are most comfortable with.


Answered 7 years ago by outonalimbts

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy