Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/23/2019

What kind of professional can reinforce a sagging floor joist?

A structural engineer came in the house and this is part of his report:

The crack in the living room ceiling, which is below the second story wall that supports the attic floor and dormer loads, likely resulted from sagging of the front to back oriented joits installed between the living room ceiling and the second story floor.

This sagging resulted from excessive load being applied from the attic down through the second-story wall and into the joist above the living room ceiling.

It is recommended that the ceiling be removed in the area of the crack and that the floor joist at that location be reinforced with the installation of either two additional solid wood joists or for one similarly sized LVL.

It is recommended that the existing joist be jacked up slightly before securing the reinforcing joists or LVL to ensure that the new wood or LVL is loaded as soon as the minor jacking is removed.
Which type of professional can do this job? A handyman?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

This question has not yet been answered.

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy