Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/16/2013

What can be done about a neighbor who hasn't mowed for 2 years. The yard is a mess.

There are poisonous nettles and other invasive plants growing through the fence into my yard.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Check local property records to see if they are owner or renter - you can talk to the renter first, but if that strikes out, the landloard is who you need to take more aggressive action with.

First possibility, particularly if it is a nice person, is to ask them nicely to get it cut, mentioning that you are getting invasive plants in your yard.

If it is a person who is physically unable to cut their yard and leaves it because they cannot afford to have it done, or it just does not mean anything to them to have it cut, you have the alternative of offering to cut and/or spray it for them periodically when it gets out of control. you should not have to do this, it is true, but might be the solution which generates the least neighborhood friction. Obviously, if they do not cut it due to some personality disorder, general reclusiveness, they are your local drug dealer or Hells Angel chapter leader, etc. then this solution might not seem viable or safe.

If some of the species are on the invasive species list, the state invasive species office might issue a notice to abate them.

For general weeds and such, a complaint to your local code enforcement division might get some result.

A letter from an attorney citing applicable public nuisance laws and demanding it be remediated is ratcheting it up quite a bit, but could yield results.

If you live in a subdivision with covenants, read them - you might be able to get a court order based on a covenant that requires lawn maintenance.

Otherwise your next to last recourse is probably a civil lawsuit seeking a court order to maintain the property because it is a public nuisance.

Last recourse is pay them to move out.

Presumably you know the person who lives there - you need to consider whether this sort of invasion (as he/she would probably consider it) of privacy and possible repercussions from that person merit the risk.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy