Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/8/2013

What are the best options for fireplaces?

We are considering converting our wood-burning log fireplace to something less labor intensive. Does switching to gas require an inspection (Piedmont says yes, Chimney company says no)?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Check with your local building department - generally a conversion requires it be done by a licensed professional with a permit - this may be what Piedmont meant by an inspection. In almost all jurisdictions the gas piping and shutoff valve has to be installed by a licensed plumber or pipefitter, then a woodstove and gas insert company can install the gas insert from there. In most but not all jurisdictions, just plain exposed gas burners are illegal now due to the carbon monoxide risk - you generally have to install a sealed gas insert unit with separate metal flue up the chimney (or can go direct outside with some units). Most code jurisdictions have an info sheet on wood and gas stoves - commonly online at their website.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy