Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/1/2011

What would you do with painters who walk off the job?

Money was provided in advance for paint and materials. The agreement was to be paid for work at end of job to paint 4 bedrooms. The understanding was that the painter had a team. Work went behind schedule. His co-painter left for a week taking the money provided for materials to see his mother having bypass surgery. He could not produce a backfill. Instead of working longer there was more talking to his teenage nephew. Unable to locate them in time to support request for more money over the original $1,000 provided for materils. Only $350 of receipts produced. Another $500 provided to keep project going. Two days later, not enough money left to continue project. Painter refused to continue without more money. The guy who took off with the advance for materials is now back and wants $1,200 in addition to the first $1,500 provided. This money is for his labor on incomplete work. When they did not continue we were forced to find someone else, or wait for them to return, or some other option. How should we handle this request to be paid for unfinished job that caused us serious delay in our plans to move?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Never pay for services or materials unrendered.

Get it in writing. Write out an agreement of what is to be done and when. Be as specific as possible. Let them know what your expectations are and what will happen for under performance.

With respect to remediation. Send them a certified letter informing them that you will be taking them to court if the money in not paid back within seven days from the date of notification. If that doesn't work, then take them to small claims court and report them to your state contractors licensing board and Angie's List so that others will not suffer the same fate.

Answered 9 years ago by Scot

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy