Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/4/2016

What is the rubber sealent used on the bottoms of kitchen cabinets called? To protect from water damage?

I thought it was called covax but it isnt

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


That does not ring a bell with me - or on the web. Coax is a type of TV/entertainment center cable, but obviously that does not apply in this case.

Maybe Minwax ? Which is a brand of finishes, including varnishes, urethanes, etc. Perhaps you are thinking a clear polyurethane, commonly used as a clear coat over stains on cabients and such. But is is a clear finish similar to a varnish which would coat the entire cabinet exterior surface - not a rubber sealant.

If you are talking a strip sealant along the base of the cabinet (or base of a base shoe or molding piece) where it meets the flooring, then you are probably talking a latex or silicone caulk. Modified latex caulks like Dap Tub and Tile (available clear, white, tan as I recall) is sometimes used for this. More commonly probably, a long-life silicone sealant caulk, with GE and Dow and Dap being 3 of the most common names out there. Dap easier to work with, GE probably lasts bests but VERY messy to work with as it is quite gooey, and near impossible to clean up completely if you spill or drip anywhere.

Or go back to the person you think used the term and ask them what it was.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy