Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/5/2015

What service installs window wells, landscapers or general contractors or someone else entirely?

The structural engineer stated that I need to have grading done on my yard for drainage. I have basement windows that are at ground level. In order to do the grading the engineer suggested that the ground be built up approximately 1 foot and grade down into a drainage trench 15 to 20 feet away. In order to do that I need to have window wells installed. I am unaware of who to contact for window well installation. I know i need a landscaper for the grading but do not know if they would be the best option for window wells.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


On my home I hired a common laborer to dig out an old railroad tie window well. I went to big box store Menards (or Lowes etc) and purchased a fiberglass window well that was stackable, first 18" and thereafter 14" per modular unit. They were $125 per unit. You can purchase a seperate clear dome cover for approx, $225 and they feature built in steps to allow the use of the well as an egress window for fire code (see your area fire code). I ordered pea gravel to surround and drain the perimiter. Menards sells bags if your needs are small and I used gravel as a drainage tool in the bottom of the window wells. Mine were 2 double casement windows which could be replaced with a code approved single double hung or casement with a knock out center mullion. My install method was lagg bolts into the mortar joints of block foundation with pl400 glue as a further bond between the fiberglass (Plastic) window well modules and the block wall.

One year later- I love them. All big box stores have lists of contractors for hire or any good handyman would be overqualified. Maybe try Angie's List for sugestions.

Jim Casper Old Gentleman Contractor, ( that means I hire good workman)

ps for ideas on gutters and gutter covers see my blogs


Answered 5 years ago by jccasper


Hi this is Garrett K., community moderator with Angie's List. We have recently written an article covering this question. You can view that article by following this link. If you need help finding a provider, give us a call at 1-888-944-5478. Thanks!

Answered 5 years ago by garrettk

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy