Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/25/2016

What is the thickest interior paint available?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


For interior paints, Behr Marquee in my experience - also some Glidden enamels and Behr latexes are mighty thick. Thickest of any kind probably some epoxies for industrial use on metals and on floors, and some exterior elastomer paints. This list of course excludes the sanded paints for skid-proofing surfaces or waterproofing concrete block, which are "thick" because they have a substantial portion of sand in them.

However, if looking to mask rough surfaces or sloppy drywall work, don't count on it even with multiple coats - it won't work. A thick paint, bonding properly, will maintain its thickness over dips and rises too, so it tends to smooth out roughness but not "flatten" it out - you will still get the same irregularities, just smoothed or transitioned out somewhat. You need to prep the surface to a smooth surface FIRST with a filler product like drywall compound or texture paint (or modified cementatious grout on concrete) - then prime as necessary and then paint.

Obviously, drywall compound is the usual thing to use (on bare drywall), with proper sanding and primer. Other than that, there are texture paints (actually a texturing compound, not a paint) for a heavy smoothing job.

There is also a product I have seen in Northeast and Canada and in near-border areas like Montana and Wyoming but I have not seen elsewhere called Polycell Polyfilla Smooth Over for Damaged Walls. I think it comes from the UK or Australia. I saw it used a couple of times and it seemed to work very nicely in expert hands, but have not used it myself. Google for video and info. It is a roll-on product, using a special roller cover.

Bear in mind also - the thicker paints commonly tend to have the most problems sticking to the wall when applied and afterwards, so they tend to "strip" when applied (which is why I hate Behr paints) - meaning you apply it on a properly prepped surface, but then after a few seconds it wicks off because it bonds to itself better than to the wall. Neat to see a few square feet do that, but frustrating - basically you have to use a Behr primer (no other brand) to solve that. The thicker paint will also tend to peel easier when nicked or scratched - main reason (other than coverage against see-through) multiple coats are recommended rather than doing one thick coat when painting.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy