Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/10/2013

What type of contractor do I contact to replace the metal support in my basement window wells?

The metal lining that holds the ground away from the windows is significantly rusted and deteriorating in our basement.
These are the original supports from when the home was built 20 yrs ago. They have been repainted several times but clearly need replaced before they collapse. What type of contractor would do this work?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here is a response I gave a few days ago to a very similar question -

Obviously, if yours are badly rusted, then replacement is in order, not prolonging their life unless you want to do this, which I have done a couple of times as a quicker fix - use a post hole digger (obviously not in real rocky soil with cobbles nor in real loose sand) to dig a 6-8 inch open trench 6 inches deeper than the well around the outside of the window well liner, hose the well liner relatively clean anbd duct tape any holes on the outside, caulk at the house interface where the concrete will go with a good coat of bitumastic sealant and a couple of concrete anchors, then just mix and pour sackcrete into the trench - makes a semi-circular concrete wall that will last a lot longer than window well, at less materials cost, and in easy digging soil takes about the same labor as removing the well liner and putting a new one in.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy