Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/7/2011

What type of contractor installs support beams?

We have a cracked support post in the attic about to punch a hole through the roof, plus we need some collar ties and additional center support there. We also need a support beam installed in the basement to hold up a section of the kitchen floor that is sagging. A structural engineer? A general contractor? How much do you think this work will cost? My guess is $1000 but if you have more info I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You will probably have to hire a structural engineer to evaluate the attic support post, sagging floor, and additional center support because he will determine the types and sizes of members needed to support the respective loads. Also, if you live in an incorporated city or county, you may need a permit for the work, and they may require a structural engineer to draw up the plans, as well as require an inspection of the work afterward. A general contractor should be able to do the work.

Answered 9 years ago by civile@53

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy