Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/15/2016

What type of professional do I need to increase size an already existing window?

All the window companies seem to only do replacements. I want to increase the size of a window on a vinyl siding house.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Window companies commonly do this - maybe you di not make clear you are looking for a new larger window, requiring enlarging the window rough opening. If you meant actually increasing the size of the existing window rather than putting a larger window in the same location - far cheaper to just go with new window, as basically everything would have to be replaced anyway if you could find a custom shop to "enlarge" the window.

If you can't find a window company to do it, then Remodeling - General Contractor would be one choice to do it all - or hire a Carpenter - Framing to take out the existing window and reframe the opening, then have window company come (prearranged for when carpenter is done and has temporarily plywood and plastic sheeted the opening) to put in the new window unit.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy