Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/14/2013

What to do about water damage to a hardwood floor

We had a leak under a sink. It has warped the hardwood floor around that area. How do we go about solving this problem. Are there people in Vancouver whom we can call to fix it? What all is involved? We both have allergies and I don't want a mold situation.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


It needs to come up ASAP, the warped wood probably thrown out (rarely can it be reused if warped), the pad if any thrown out, the subfloor/underlayment dried out and the underlayment ripped up if disintegrating or warping, any mold treated, then new flooring put in.

If it was only a small area damaged, then a flooring contractor can probably handle it unless there is substantial mold, in which case a mold remediation contractor will have to come in for the demo and mold treatment first. Clearly, if it is that significant then you should be in touch with your insurance company, and they can help with emergency response before mold gets started - usually you have about a 24-72 hour window, depending on humidity and temperature, before mold becomes noticeable.

Before new underlayment or flooring is put down, the subfloor should thoroughly dry - at least 3 days AFTER the darker damp color disappears.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy