Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/24/2013

Whats a fair price to fix a condensation hose in an AC unit

We discovered water on our basement floor and realized its coming from our AC condensation hose. Need to know what's a fair price to have it fixed or replaced?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If I read you right, you mean the condensate hose itself is leaking ? I presume it is more than just a little condensation from moisture in the air condensing on the OUTSIDE of the hose and dripping down the hose, which can happen in the heat of summer when it is generating a fair amount of condensate. I also presume it is not because the hose got kicked out of its drain by kids or something, and just needs to be put back into the drain it uses.

Usually those are just a rubber or nitrile hose leading to a floor drain, wash tub, or sump pump pit. Assuming you can get to the place it is leaking from, if you just cut an inch or so off the end, you should be able to match up a coupling for that size at any plumbing or building supply store - usually a plastic insert that fits tightly inside the ends of the hose, with hose clamps to hold the hose on each end of the fitting. You just cut out the bad part of the hose (usually only 1" or so, usually from a crack or place it got nicked with a knife), slip the hose clamps a few inches onto the free ends of the hose, insert the fitting (using a hair dryer to heat the hose it a hard plastic type), then snuggly (NOT real tight) tighten the clamps over the hose where it is seated on the fitting.

If the entire hose has started cracking or splitting, if you can remove it youself and get to the entire length, you can easily put on another one yourself. If questionable,you might as well replace the entire thing so you do not have another leak soon to deal with.

If metal, or really hard to get at or you cannot do yourself, get an HVAC repairman - should be minimum visit cost (about $60-100 typically) plus $10-25 worth of hose and fittings. While a handyman could probably also do this task, I personally just would not trust a handyman anywhere around an HVAC system.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy