Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/5/2015

Where can I buy drywall paper to cover fake wood paneling?

I am trying to sell my father's house who passed away in April. The house was built in the 70s. Every room has a different fake wood paneling. I would like to cover and paint with least amount of cost as we do not have a lot to invest but want to make it more light and inviting. Yes, I would tell buyers I did this. I also want to use it in my living room. I read about this on another question but have not been able to find product. Any help and advice is appreciated.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would guess this might be where you read it - and other ideas about cleaning this up ?

As for source, home improvement store or wallpaper / wall covering place would be my bet. Or google for manufacturers, then contact them for a local distributor.

I would talk to the real estate appraiser you used (or will use) to value the house for estate purposes, and also your realtor who is going to be listing it as to whether this is a productive thing to do - personally, from what I have seen, short of covering with a solid product (which also means adjusting/removing and replacing baseboards, trim, electrical outlets, etc) I have never seen a trowel-on or paper/vinyl wallpaper type product that looked any better (if as good) as the fake wood panelling - ESPECIALLY i the grooved or fake tongue and groove type.

If lightening the atmosphere is the concern, might be easier and cheaper to increase the lighting with ceiling (or table/freestanding lamp) fixtures with more bulbs or higher wattage (within rating of the fixture). Or just plain priming and painting rather than taking the significantly greater effort and time to properly cut in a "wallpaper" product, which really takes removing all trim to make look right because otherwise you end up seeing the edges of the product at the trim boundary.

I would seriously doubt if this is going to be cost effective either - even if a DIY job (assuming you count you time as no value) as long as the panelling is in decent shape I would suggest that just leaving it would be best - especially in an old house like this where many of the buyers would likely be looking at a partial or full tearout or a teardown, anyway.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy