Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/6/2015

Where can I find a licensed installer of lighning rods?

I want to find a qualified (that is, certified or licensed) installer of lightning rods who will provide the rods and other materials and install them.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Hi David,

This is Robin K. in Member Care. I'm happy to help!

I was able to find several rated lightening protections services to help you! For your current need though, our Snapfix specialists would also be able to do all of the dialing for you, match you up with a top rated provider and arrange to have them call you to figure out the logistics. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, please fill out the form in the link below and our Snapfix Team will take it from there!

If you would like to reach out to these providers yourself, please let me know. I’d be happy to send these to you. No matter which option you choose, I hope you’ll take the time to fill out a review when the work is done.

If you would like information on providers through this forum, please let us know. You can respond to this thread or submit a new Answers post. You can also reach us at We're happy to help, David!

Answered 5 years ago by Member Services


Here is a better answer than I can give -

The key is to be sure that both the equipment being installed is UL listed, and that the installer is a UL Certified Lightning Installer - one of the few professions where UL actually certifies the installer, not just the equipment. And be sure to get the certification plate attached to the system - usually attached either at the ground rod connection, or next to the meter/main breaker/disocnnect electric panel.

And don't forget the surge protection - because the national eelctric code currently (though this may change in the future) requires that lighting ground rods be elecgtrically bonded to your household electrical system ground rods - which can mean some of the lightning strike energy can jump to your house system through that connection. There are good reasons for that requirement - also good reasons NOT to do it. Anyway, since it is currently required, you HAVE to be sure there is a lightning surge arrestor on the wiring to the house to minimize the chance of a backfeed through the electrical ground back into your house. Without that, you are actually probably INCREASING the risk to your house by putting up lighting rods.

So - google or go to UL website to find UL Certified installers, then cross-check on AL for any reviews. Some may be specialty lighting protection installers (especially in the great palins/midwest/deep[south lightning belt), some will be electricians who are also certified for this type of work.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy