Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/9/2015

Where do you report a shoddy appliance and a extreme over charge.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would try to return it to the seller. If provided by a contractor, get him to replace it with an acceptable one or threaten to call his Bond. If the installer was not the owner of the company, talking to him/her might help too - have specifics of HOW it is shoddy or defective, and WHY you think you were overcharged.

If unsafe, report it to the Consumer Product Safety Commission ( on the web - will get strong response from the company because they are required to respond individually to your complaint both to you and to the CPSC - usually gets an immediate refund or replacement because they do NOT want it to lead to a general recall of that item. You may also have recourse to the state Consumer Affairs Division (or similar name) at your state District Attorney's Office, or in city atorney's office in some very large cities or counties.

If you are elderly or disabled and think you were scammed, the state or local Elder/Handicapped Abuse office might help too.

At CPSC you can also check if this appliance has been recalled because of defects.

And of course you can always file an appropriate Review on Angies List.

If you want to provide more info about exactly WHAT type of work and appliance was provided and HOW it is shoddy and what the charge was and what you think it should have cost (using the Answer This Question button right below your question), perhaps I can provide a more definitive response.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy