Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/14/2013

Which type of dr. is best for diagnosing and treating peripheral arteial disease - cardiologist or neurologist?

My family dr. wants to refer me to a neurologist for leg numbness. I am wondering if I should see a cardiologist instead.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If the problem is in the nervous system - such as pinched nerves - then a neurologist is the expert to see.

If the numbness is due to poor circulation, then a circulatory specialist or a cardiologist would be the normal specialist to see.

The referral by your doctor was presumably the result of testing - weak pulse, poor recovery in color after pressinthe skin inthe foot or on a nail (the typical quick test for circulation problems) or radical change in blood pressure along the length of the leg would likely indicate PAD (a circulatory problem), whereas good circulation test results but poor response to neurologic tests like needle pricking would normally be indicative of a neurologic issue. If you are not sure why he referred you to a certain specialist, ask for clarification - you need to understand what you are being treated for, but you commonly have to ask if you want details.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy