Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/11/2014

Who do I ask if I can remove a wall?

Live in a ranch house on concrete slab. Would like to remove wall between kitchen and family room.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


I would have to say a General Contractor would be the best place to start. Many General Contractors start out as carpenters and you could ask a carpenty contractor but the reason I said a General Contractor they usually know a bit about the electrical and plumbing that might be invoved. You say you are in a ranch house and I will give you a rough way to know before you call a contractor. In a ranch generally, and I stress generally the load bearing walls run inline with your ridge on the roof. I have seen many homes where this is not always true though but it is a good way to know before you call. If it was not on a slab your floor joists could be a hint as they most often run in the same direction as the ceiling joists.


Answered 6 years ago by ContractorDon


If you don't want the possibility of a GC trying to sell you his services, a Structural Engineer or Architect can determine this for you. If you are doing a remodel involving removing a wall, in most jurisidictions to get a building permit you are going to need either a letter from an architect or structural engineer stating the wall is non-structural and can be removed without replacement, or plans to replace its structural support. Probably about $200-500 depending on if plans for replacement support are needed.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy