Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/22/2014

Who do I call to inspect cracks that have suddenly appeared in a plaster wall and ceiling? Please, no long answers.

Our home is 108 years old. We purchased it in Sept. We had a home inspector and walked with him throughout the inspection. It is a 2 story home with unfinished basement. Access to the attic is in the upstairs hallway. On one side of the access there were a couple small cracks, it almost looked liked an elbow was placed there when someone used the area to pull themselves into the attic. He didn't see anything that would have caused it, so we moved on. Last week I noticed similar cracks on a different side, these were on the side of our 2nd bedroom. Yesterday I went into the second bedroom and saw cracks at the top of the door frame and one about 1/3 down the door frame that runs horizontally to the adjoining wall. I just need to know who I need to call about inspecting these not anything else. I dont want to know about a painter, drywall person or anything...those will come AFTER the inspection/repair

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Hi, this is Meranda with Angie's List.

If you're concerned about cracks appearing in the walls, you may want to call out a structural engineer who can pinpoint whether the cracks are due to defects in construction/support, or the natural settling of a house. Typically, they charge an inspection fee and give you a report with their findings.

You can search the list for "structural engineer" to find one in your area. This guide to structural engineers may also be useful:

Good luck!

Answered 5 years ago by Meranda


Could be these were pre-existing cracks that were patched/painted over before the sale, and are now continuing to open up as the house or framing settles. As AL said, Structural Engineer is what you want to investigate the cause and recommend repairs, if any.

It is quite possible, if he does not find apparent cause in the foundation or framing, that he/she will recommend marking the ends of the cracks with a pencil and measure over time, to see if they are just recracking a patch and stop, or if they are extending and new ones are opening upelsewhere in the house.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy