Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/24/2015

Who do I call for water stain that's grown in kitchen I believe from using stove exhaust fan?

There are two water stains on my kitchen ceiling between where the stove is and the sink. One stain appears to be a pipeline stain about 39" long and the other stain which is a few inches away is about 7" round. The pipeline stain has been on the ceiling for over a year but was much smaller. I noticed that it has grown quite a bit and is causing great concern. Who should we call to inspect and repair?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


The "pipeline" stain you see may just be because the drip ran across the top of the drywall for 3 feet or more, wetting a longitudinal area. The round stain could be from a small drip that did nothing more than pool.

If certain from the vent, Heating and A/C would be your normal contractor category. Drip would likely be from either a roof hood leak, or condensation in the ducting in the winter - though that usually drips right down through the fan unit. If from plumbing/bathroom overhead, then a Plumber. If from an upper level window leaking, then Handyman or Window contrator might end up being what you need.

If there is a tub/shower right above the leak area, I would start with a Plumber, with that being the most common source of such leaks.

Other alternative (which they may well do anyway) is open an inspection hole in the ceiling, or use a fiber optic camera or inspection tool. The latter only requires about 1/2" openings, and with a bit of creativity and turning the power to the area off, can sometimes be snaked up alongwise a ceiling light fixture box to look up into the floor space above for water staining and source of drip(s).

If attic above the kitchen, then a visual inspection should allow you to track the staining. If unable to do this yourself, plumber, HVAC contractor, or Handyman could track the leak.

The round stain might be from an initial drip point, which has then migrated from a small puddle to a linear pool flowing towards the low point of the ceiling, forming the "pipeline' shaped stain. Since this has taken a year or more to spread, sounds like a very small leak - a weeping joint, a pinhole in a pipe, or a leaking sewer line joint or tub/shower/toilet fixture leaking.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy